Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I was out at the mall today and...

I was at Steamtown Mall today for their annual talent competition.  I enjoy singing and who knows maybe I'll cut an album and send it off, or win big on some reality show...for now it's a hobby and I'm pretty good.  I'm digressing...
I got at the venue about an hour early, sat down and started preparing and from the T-Mobile kiosk/booth thing I heard a couple of associates laughing, having a good time.  I looked up and one was pointing directly at me and was laughing.  I shrugged it off at first, but after about 10mins. it got difficult to ignore.  One guy was pointing at me, making rude comments about my weight.  After a few more minutes and deciding what to do I walked over and confronted the guy.  Of course he took the coward's way out and denied it and I had to walk away, otherwise I would have sucker punched him. 
The guy could've picked almost any other trait and I wouldn't have done anything...yes, I wear glasses, I have a big nose, my hair is massive, I'm short.  But I've never had someone make fun of my weight before.  That was a shock to me. 
I wouldn't consider myself skinny, or fat.  I'd say I'm about average; some days I retain water and I look in the mirror and say "Oh crap!" and other days I say "Damn!  I look good."  But this guy's comments struck me and I started questioning "Am I fat, do other people see me as fat?  Do I think I'm fat and am I alright with how I look?" 
I tried considering the source.  The guy who was making the rude comments must have outweighed me by at least 100-150LBs.  But still, the fact that someone would make fun of my weight filled me with an indescribable hurt. 
A few things about T-Mobile; they supposedly have the BEST customer service amongst wireless carriers.  My contract with AT&T will be up in about 3wks. and I was seriously considering taking my business to T-Mobile because I am a big fan of awesome customer service.  I work primarily in the service industry myself, so I appreciate awesome customer service.  But here's the difference: I would never make fun of a potential customer...at least not until I'm in the back room and everyone is complaining about the rude/obnoxious customers. 
T-Mobile just lost a potential customer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment