Friday, July 15, 2011

Went to a salon today...


Tried going to Holiday Hair salon today with mom.  I went in first to check on the wait time; when I first walked in the secretary greeted me and smiled, I asked about the wait time and she said it would be a few minutes.  Now to me “a few minutes” is the equivalent of up to 5 minutes, but I know that most businesses don’t think that way, so I asked her to specify about how long the wait time was and told her that my mother who is on oxygen would be coming in.  The girl seemed completely taken aback when I told her that my mother is on oxygen and I got the “Oh…um…someone will be right out.  Yeah, someone will be available.” In an almost freaked out and confused tone.  Thinking that someone would be right out I signed both mom and myself in, then went back to the car to let my mom know that a stylist would be right out and would take us momentarily.  Mom went into the salon first, as I was getting my handbag and grabbing a full tank of oxygen. (just in case the one she had been using ran out.)  I sat down and saw the secretary chit chatting with a stylist…neither of whom bothered to acknowledge my mother or myself.  It takes very little to look up and say “I will be right with you, let me just get squared away here.  It has been one heck of a day.”  But they ignored us.  While they were chit chatting I started flipping through a magazine…we had already been waiting for about 5 minutes, so I figured I might try and find inspiration from the pages of Allure.  After about 10 minutes mom and I decided to leave.  It wasn’t until mom had gotten and walked out that the stylist finally called my name. I politely corrected her, by letting her know that my mom’s name was before mine and the stylist gave me an almost deer in the headlights look, before saying “Oh what I meant was I can take you both at the same time…”  By then, mom was outside and getting back into the car.  I called out to her and let her know that our names had been called, but she was fed up with having to wait and the attitude of the salon workers.  As I turned back to let the two salon workers know that we were leaving, they gave me a confused and repeated that they were ready for me.  I just told them that we had to run home for something and left. 
This wasn’t the first time we had visited this particular salon.  I’ve been there a few times and up until today I had gotten great service and the stylists always listened to what I wanted…granted I normally go in for thinning out, but still they have never once argued with me about how thin I want my hair and they have never thinned it out too much.  I’ve been to salons where the stylist took one layer off and told me that was all she could do and another where the stylist thinned it out so much that it looked like someone had glued stringy extensions to a wig.  I’ve also never had that much of a wait time before in that salon…I think the longest I’ve ever waited in that salon was about 5 minutes and the only reason the wait time was that long, was because a previous transaction wasn’t going through properly on the computer.  So I was incredibly disappointed by the service today; the odd looks and the snotty attitude.  And it wasn’t until we were in the car that mom told me, that the stylist had walked out, looked mom over and grimaced, then looked at her oxygen tank and grimaced. 
To those like me, who generally work in a service industry, be it retail, salon, food…etc. IF you have a problem with assisting those with disabilities, or do not wish to deal with people who are disabled then please do the rest of us who have no qualms or reservations about helping them and find another industry.  You’re giving the rest of us a bad name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment